How to Prepare Your Child for Tutoring
Tips to Help Make the Most of Your Child’s Tutoring Sessions
More and more parents are seeking tutors for their children in order to achieve academic success in today’s rigorous educational climate. Once you’ve decided that tutoring is right for your child, Shamrck would like to offer this list to help you and your child prepare for that all important first tutoring session begins.
Here are a few essential guidelines for tutoring success:
- Set up a meeting with the tutor. Your child will have the best possible first tutoring session if he has previously had a positive experience with the tutor. Arrange for the tutor to come to your home for an informal chat or, if you’re going to a tutoring center, drop by when the teachers are free to meet and greet their newest student.
- Explain the reasons for tutoring to your child. Children perceive the world differently than adults. Your goal is to make the tutoring process go as smoothly as possible in order for your child to receive the maximum benefit.
- There are many reasons you may seek academic help for your child. Your child may be below grade level. Or you may want your child to advance beyond his current grade level. Whatever the reason for searching for a tutor, your child needs to understand the benefits that tutoring will provide.
- Encourage your child to share feelings. Many children, especially those who may be facing difficulty in school, may be reluctant to share their feelings about the tutor or the tutoring process.
- Spend time to discuss with your child his specific hopes and fears about the area of study or school in general. The more you know about your child’s feelings, the better the whole process will unfold. After your child has taken Shamrck’s Student Interest Assessment, go through their results with them. Discuss what careers and pathways appeal to them most, what resources interest them, and which areas are more of a struggle for them.
- Buy new notebooks and supplies. Never underestimate how much children love to use new notebooks, pens, and pencils! Find school supplies that have your child’s favorite movie or sports star printed on it. Just having these visual reminders of beloved people or events eases a child’s anxieties and increases receptiveness to learning.
- Praise your child’s accomplishments in the classroom. Every child loves praise and has achieved some things in the classroom that are worthy of compliments. Tell your child how proud you are of his accomplishments. Explain to your child that tutoring will only increase success.
- Assure your child of your help. Your child may fear that tutoring will be an unbearable burden. Assure him that you or another knowledgeable adult will always be there to assist him with any problems that may arise.
- Tell your child that, even if you’re unsure of the concept being taught, you’ll help seek out resources to solve the problem together. In this way, your child will be reassured that you’re both in this together!
- Provide incentives. Teachers use incentives to increase effort and interest in the classroom. This strategy works because the kids love receiving prizes and they get the children to do their best. Think about ways your child is motivated to work toward particular goals. This personalization is exactly what Shamrck seeks to provide with our Student Interest Assessment and corresponding resources.
- Something as simple as a trip to favorite restaurant or an afternoon at the park can provide that extra spark your child needs to succeed at a task. Your child will look forward to each tutoring session with the knowledge that he’s one step closer to that desirable incentive.
By following these easy guidelines, you can enable your child to be fully prepared and ready for tutoring and academic success!
Go to the Dashboard today to learn a little more about your child’s interests and which courses can help prepare them for the future.
Understand How Career Readiness Helps You Succeed in the Job MarketThere are more people applying for jobs than ever before and many jobs are becoming obsolete at a fast pace. These two factors combined have created an increase in job competition. The only way that...
Hiring Interns Can Be Very Profitable for Businesses Summer is the most popular time for hiring an intern. High school and college students alike hunt around to fill their summers with meaningful experiences to buff up their resumes and discover their interests. They...
Weigh Your Options and Decide Which is Best for YouThere are many different options available when it comes to choosing a career path. Do you want to gain more skills before you graduate? Are you looking for practical experience in your field of study? Possibilities...